All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
There are hundreds of thousands of mobile apps in the App Store, but only a small portion of them have innovative design principles, friendly user interfaces, and most importantly, widespread adoption by users. In this hands-on lab and lecture course, you will learn the core principles for creating effective user interfaces for mobile devices incorporating iOS 13/14, Android Lollipop, Windows, responsive/parallax design, lean mobile UX, form factors, GPS, gestures, tactile experiences, sensors, commerce, tagging and more. You will discover useful patterns for developing mobile products and design a mobile user experience using an iterative and user-centered design process. Additional topics include: Google Glass UX/UI, wearable computing, and augmented reality.
The school provides short-term licenses of commercial prototyping tools (Balsamiq Mockups and Fluid UI) for sketching wireframe and mobile prototyping. Designing your own prototype will provide opportunities to explore new types of touch- and gesture-based user interaction that can expand the functional possibilities of your apps. This exercise will demonstrate how mobile products can be rapidly developed and released to the market.
The course covers the trends, industry practices and techniques for the most popular platforms, and by the end of the course, you will have created an engaging user interface prototype for a mobile application or the web. This mobile UI prototype will incorporate the new conceptual and technical skills learned, and can also function as a portfolio piece for future endeavors.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
- Familiarity with a drawing tool is recommended for the exercises (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or Sketch) but not required.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Have an in-depth understanding of mobile design and the core design principles necessary for creating a successful mobile application.
- Learn the importance of a mobile design strategy and be familiar with advances in new mobile technology and how these features can be integrated into their application.
- Implement working prototypes of their designs.
- Learn the methods on how to explore new types of gestural touch – and gesture-based user interface that can extend the functionality of their app.
- Learn how mobile products can be rapidly developed and released to the market.
- Latest iOS 15 and Android Material Design Human Interface Guidelines
- Responsive Design/Parallax UX Design
- iOS 15 and Android UI patterns
- Cryptocurrency & Blockchain UX
- Lean Mobile UX
- Windows mobile UX/UI design
- Mobile design strategy
- Mobile platforms and technology
- Meaningful mobile experiences
- Form factor user interface
- Low fidelity mobile concepts
- Mobile prototyping software
- Prototyping methods
- Mobile storytelling workflow
- Gesture experiences
- High fidelity mobile prototyping
- Design portfolio showcasing your app
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 07-09-2022||9:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 07-16-2022||9:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 07-23-2022||9:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 07-30-2022||9:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 08-06-2022||9:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 08-20-2022||9:00 a.m.||3:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|