All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
The job environment has become more complex with the use of computerized resumé tracking systems, online applications, and a myriad of other technology-based recruiting tools. Knowledge of how to penetrate the job market, particularly the 75 percent of the market that is never published, is more important than ever. In this course students will discover how to take charge of your career and develop a personalized, effective job-hunting toolbox for your life.
You will learn assessment methodologies, such as StrengthFinder and MBTI®, as well as goal-setting techniques, resumé craft, personal branding, marketing and key principles of effective job interviewing. Effective time management strategies become the foundation for consistent, lifetime career growth.
In this comprehensive two-Saturday course you will identify hidden career opportunities that fit your current career aspirations and your future career goals and then develop an effective marketing strategy and action plan. You will practice live interviews and participate in valuable feedback sessions.
The focus of this course is on jobseekers who are new to the U.S. job market, as well as people who are returning to the job market after taking time off for family and other personal reasons.
After successful completion of the course, you will
- Understand the importance of creating a lifetime career networking strategy.
- Strengthen your knowledge of essential career plan components.
- Experience the process of identifying sound career options and how to match those options to potential jobs.
- Distinguish among popular assessment tools and choose how to use them most effectively in your career search.
- Utilize common personal branding tools.
- Understand interviewing techniques, and maximize the likelihood of obtaining interesting job opportunities.
- Identifying target careers
- Developing networking strategies
- Creating a personal brand
- Building an effective LinkedIn profile
- Developing a portfolio of resumés
- Identifying interview pitfalls
- Creating effective answers to difficult interview questions
- Practicing and reviewing video of your actual interviews
- Building effective support networks
- Developing a strategic career plan
- Creating a career action implementation program
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 12-03-2022||9:00 a.m.||4:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Sat, 12-10-2022||9:00 a.m.||4:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|