Visit our COVID update page.
Deliver great learning
The rapidly evolving field of instructional design needs qualified people to organize and deliver learning that effectively serves diverse learning styles and organizational goals. Students in the Learning Experience Design specialization focus on the principles and practices of traditional settings in K-12 classrooms, colleges, universities, and professional training settings in corporations and government.
In addition to studying practical approaches to online learning, the curriculum includes facilitation, the use of emerging technologies, intercultural communication, and the evaluation of teaching curriculums. You will expand existing skills, build on natural talents and strengths, and learn from assessments to develop areas in need of special attention.
Learning Experience Design specialization objectives
- Design, implement, and evaluate effective instructional materials for any type of learner
- Develop learning materials that take into account the strengths and weaknesses of students
- Design online courses and build online communities
- Manage projects and facilitate group conversations
Estimated Cost: Varies (You pay only for courses you enroll in.)
Program Requirements: 4 courses (5.5 to 8 units). Mix of UC credit and CEUs. End with a Specialization completion review.
Minimum Hours of Instruction:
Estimated Duration: Varies
1. Required Course(s): At least 4
2. Completion Review:
Meet Our Instructors
Specialization Inquiry Form
Establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization
Once you create your student account, you can establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization program any time during your studies.
The benefits of enrolling early
- Lock in your certificate requirements.This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your certificate will remain the same for you
- Receive program updates
- Set your intention
- It’s free
To complete a program, you must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.
You have five years to complete all necessary courses in a certificate program or three years to finish up a specialization program.
All the necessary units in a certificate must be completed within this window.* The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2017, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
Enrolling in a certificate program does not trigger the beginning of the five-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to a certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the five-year timeframe.
For more information: How do I get my certificate or specialization?
* Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, Personal Financial Planning, or curriculum partner programs (such as GreenFig or CLS by Barbri) may have a shorter completion requirement.