All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
Participants in this course learn to identify children's behavior to determine whether it is normal, developmentally appropriate or problematic. Cooperative discipline is explored in the wider context of classroom management, working with staff and parents. Behaviors are examined to better understand why children behave the way they do and to correct behaviors with a guidance and discipline strategy that is positive, respectful of both child and adult, and developmentally appropriate. Participants also learn to practice prevention of certain behaviors and guide children through the use of positive discipline. The focus is on how an adult can behave when a difficult situation arises and be as effective as possible in creating an atmosphere of safety that supports all children in reaching their fullest potential.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the developmentally appropriate behaviors of young children
- Discuss positively and respectfully guiding principles
- Explain the theoretical foundation of prevention strategies
- Identify the effective communication approach to collaborate with parents and other teachers
- Physical environments that promote positive learning
- Positive vs. negative discipline
- Approaches for problem solving when working with children
Be ready for some lectures, individual presentations, group discussions, class and group projects, and a “hands-on” project or PowerPoint slide presentation to be made as a final project.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 06-21-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 06-28-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-05-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-12-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-19-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|