Masks are highly recommended.
See our latest COVID news.
Master Linux—the operating system of choice
Linux is the operating system of choice for servers, network infrastructure, embedded systems, and mobile devices. In our Linux Programming and Administration professional certificate program you will learn both core and advanced Linux skills needed to work at top companies in Silicon Valley.
Many of our courses are not available in traditional colleges, yet they are highly applicable in a real-world work environment. From basic installation and tools to kernel customization for advanced systems—you can tailor your Linux study path to your interests.
Choose your emphases of study
Linux System Administration—Track 1
In the Linux System Administration track, you’ll get a solid foundation in configuring, operating, and administrating open, multi-user, multi-tasking Linux operating systems.
Linux System Development—Track 2
In the Linux System Development track, you’ll learn skills you’ll need to customize and optimize processes, IOs, and kernel modules. Linux Programming and Administration certificate program objectives
Linux Programming and Administration certificate program objectives
- Master shell commands and shell scripting in the Linux operating system Develop software programs and applications tailored for Linux, leveraging Linux system calls Build competence in managing, maintaining, updating, and supporting Linux installations
Our Linux students
- Software developers wanting to enhance programming knowledge
- Entry-level or career changers looking to enter the software development or support fields
- IT support staff wishing to expand their knowledge of Linux
- People interested in developing open source applications or advancing the Linux operating system and manage multiple VMware ESXi hosts and virtual machines using the vCenter Server
Show off your skills with a digital badge
Estimated Cost: Track 1 starts at $3,595. | Track 2 starts at $3,800. (You pay only for courses you enroll in.) | International Tuition Cost
Program Requirements: 5-6 courses (14 quarter units). Take 1 required course (3 quarter units), 1 core course (2-3 quarter units) and 2-3 elective courses (8 quarter units). [Only 1 programming course may be applied to the certificate.] End with Certificate Completion Review.
Minimum Hours of Instruction: Minimum 140 hours of instruction.
Estimated Duration: A full-time student can complete the certificate in 9–12 months.
1. Required Course(s): Track 1 - Linux System Administration
2. Core Course(s): Track 1 - Linux System Administration. Complete one programming course.
3. Electives: Track 1 - Linux System Administration (8-9 units required)
4. Required Course(s): Track 2 - Linux System Development
5. Core Course(s): Track 2 - Linux System Development. Complete one programming course.
6. Electives: Track 2 - Linux System Development (8 units required)
7. Completion Review:
Meet Our Instructors
Certificate Inquiry Form
Recommended Course Sequence
Start with Linux, Introduction
If you have limited or no UNIX or Linux experience, we strongly recommend that you begin with Linux, Introduction.
Choose your certificate program track.
- Linux System Administration—Track 1
- Linux System Development—Track 2
Both tracks are 14 units each.
- Required Courses: 6 units (2 courses)
- Programming Course: 2–3 units (1 course) You may take as many programming courses as you want, but only one counts toward your Linux certificate.
- Electives: Varies. 5–6 units (2-4 courses) You must complete enough electives for a total of 14 units overall.
Some Engineering and Technology courses may be listed in more than one program. However, only one course may be shared between two E&T certificate programs unless otherwise noted.
To receive your certificate
Licensure and Certification
Developers and system programmers in the Development Track learn to customize and optimize processes, IOs and kernel modules. Our virtual server courses can also prepare you for optional VMware professional certification exams.
Please see our Licensure and Certification Policy to learn more.
Certificate Program Co-Chairs
AJAY MITTAL, M.S. is an engineer at Samsung Research America with more than 25 years of software experience in Silicon Valley companies. He worked on Samsung’s HeartWise application, a technology for Kaiser Permanente heart patients that links real-time physiological data with smart devices and health workers. Previous positions include working for major employers such as Oracle, Kaiser Permanente, State of California, On24, WebMethods, and MediaLinq. He earned a Master of Science degree in Computer Engineering and is familiar with numerous different programming languages and operating systems. He also holds AWS certifications in cloud computing. He has served as co-chair of the Linux Programming and Administration certificate program since early 2022.
RAGHAV VINJAMURI, B.S.E.E., is an IT and system performance architect with more than 20 years of experience in solution development and delivery, system architecture; with multi-faceted experience in engineering and IT roles at companies such as Siemens, Cisco, Verizon and currently Bank of the West. A certified trainer, Vinjamuri teaches advanced high tech courses in orthogonal disciplines of database systems and Linux kernel interfaces to device drivers. He has an extensive background in Linux device drivers and kernel; and shell and C programming, as well as SQL development and tuning. He is passionate about embedded systems and RTOS as well as HA/cluster architecture for high-performance analysis and scalability optimization. He has taught at UCSC Extension since 2000 and as co-chair of the Linux program since 2022.
Please review the course descriptions to ensure that you have taken necessary prerequisites or meet the requirements through job experience or previous education.
Establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization
Once you create your student account, you can establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization program any time during your studies.
The benefits of enrolling early
- Lock in your certificate requirements.This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your certificate will remain the same for you
- Receive program updates
- Set your intention
- It’s free
To complete a program, you must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.
You have five years to complete all necessary courses in a certificate program or three years to finish up a specialization program.
All the necessary units in a certificate must be completed within this window.* The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2017, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
Enrolling in a certificate program does not trigger the beginning of the five-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to a certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the five-year timeframe.
For more information: How do I get my certificate or specialization?
* Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, Personal Financial Planning, or curriculum partner programs (Udacity, Microfacturing Institutes) may have a shorter completion requirement.
Please note that only letter grades of C or higher may be applied to a certificate, and in some programs, students may have more stringent requirements. Students in most employer- and government-sponsored payment programs, such as workforce development, as well as international students on F-1 visas, need to maintain a B average to meet their requirements. Personal Financial Planning students have additional grade requirements for individual courses to attain a certificate.
See Grading and Credits Policy for further information.