Use this gap year to chart your course to medical school.
In this unique, Silicon Valley-based premed preparation program starting this fall, students who have finished college have the opportunity to complete science requirements while gaining critical skills to strengthen their medical school application portfolio.
A flexible, individualized learning experience
Earn a specialization or take courses à la carte, choosing from numerous UC science courses plus five premed workshops and seminars tailored to the aspiring medical school candidate.
- Apply knowledge and competencies required for admission to medical school.
- Demonstrate the fundamental knowledge and skills needed for successful entry into medical schools.
- Explore and identify desired physician-specific careers and pathways.
- Build the foundations of knowledge and skills needed in culturally sensitive medical care.
- Help meet the dire need for primary care physicians. A shortage of physicians has resulted in too little care for the people who need it most. The UCSC curriculum emphasizes support for students interested in primary care careers. You'll build a foundation for a successful career in health care.
The Premed Specialization jumpstarts your career
- Embark on a personalized medical school journey
- Gain access to remote workshops, seminars, and science courses.
- Qualify for one-on-one advising.
- Earn a digital badge to showcase your experience online to prospective employers.
Three required courses to complete the specialization:
A LIFE IN MEDICINE
A weekly interprofessional seminar series featuring discussions with visiting medical professionals — Starts Oct. 9 | Mondays
MEDICAL SCHOOL APPLICATION
Demystify the medical school application process, timeline, and costs — Starts April 2024
KEYS TO SUCCESS IN MEDICINE
Strengthen the personal qualities you need to become a successful medical student and superior physician. — Starts Oct. 4 | Wednesdays
Plus, optional career support and science courses:
MCAT PREP COURSE
Prepare to raise your MCAT score by 15 points in flexible, online MCAT prep courses that fit your life. Starts in October.
CAREER ADVISING & COUNSELING
An action-oriented course to chart out your journey so you are effective, prepared, and able to succeed. Starts Oct. 6 | Fridays.
UC PREMED ACADEMIC COURSES
A slate of University of California courses to prepare you for medical school. Starts September 2023.
Missed Our Premed Info Session Series?
Learn more about the UCSC Premed Postbacc program by listening in on the recorded discussions with program founders.
Building Your Career in Medicine
How can you use your gap year to become a more competitive medical school applicant? We’ll talk about the latest trends related to America’s physicians and our new Premed Postbaccalaureate program. (August 2023)
The Doctor’s Tool Box
Skills for a Successful Medical Career—Physicians explore the essential skills for a thriving medical career—the art of effective communication, critical decision-making and problem-solving strategies, and the keys to resilience and self-care in the demanding world of healthcare. (August 2023)
Funding Your Medical School Journey
How will you pay for medical school? We cover funding options so you can embark on your medical school journey with financial confidence. Discover strategies to secure scholarships, grants, and loans that alleviate the burden of tuition fees. (August 2023)