Masks are highly recommended.
See our latest COVID news.
"When you focus on the foundation, learning all the aspects of the user-centered design cycle and understanding usability issues, you will be prepared to wear the many hats that industry is asking of its UI/UX designers."
— Min Wu, Ph.D., Chair, User Experience and Web Design Certificate Program
Designing for your users
UCSC Silicon Valley Extension's newly revised User Experience and Web Design certificate program teaches you to anticipate user needs and design the look and feel of new products that are intuitive and easy to use. Learn customer analytics and behavior by working with a design team of peers. Explore different areas of focus to integrate your creativity with the most effective, best practices in the industry.
Areas of focus
- User experience design
- Visual design
- Design implementation
User Experience and Web Design certificate program objectives
- Understand the iterative and user-centered design process with the spiral model.
- Use the user-centered design strategies and methods to create highly effective, pleasurable, and usable products while meeting business goals and objectives.
- Understand and apply the design principles to create effective user interfaces for mobile devices and products that incorporate wearable technology.
- Be able to implement a design prototype using various prototyping tools.
- Be able to evaluate the user interface through user research and heuristic evaluation.
- Learn and apply the visual design principles to create engaging user interfaces.
Future of Product Development, Virtual Reality & Wearable Technology
Eric Dorf, B.F.A., D.M.B.A., senior UX designer at Google and instructor, discuss designing for new surfaces and experiences—the evolution of the product designer, designing for new surfaces/experiences, how to be aware of new trends, and skill sets and design for integrated experiences. (Oct. 7, 2021)
Show off your skills with a digital badge
Estimated Cost: Starting at $5,550. (You pay only for courses you enroll in.) | International Tuition Cost
Program Requirements: 6–7 courses (minimum 17 quarter units). Take 5 core courses (13 quarter units) and 2–3 elective courses (minimum 4 quarter units). End with a certificate of completion review.
Minimum Hours of Instruction: Minimum 170 hours of instruction.
Estimated Duration: A full-time student can complete the certificate in 9–12 months.
1. Core Course(s): Part A - All Required
2. Core Course(s): Part B - One Required or Take Both & Other Part B Course Will Count as an Elective)
4. Capstone Course: Required
5. Completion Review:
Meet Our Instructors
"The capstone project course was my favorite course for sure. I got to exercise my skill of coding but still do design. Everything we learned we got to put into it."
— Jumar Balacy
"The class involved whiteboard sessions and collaboration projects which really prepared me well to start working in the industry and tackle UX design interviews."
— Agnieszka Zimolag
Product Design, Cloud at IonQ
Certificate Inquiry Form
Recommended Course Sequence
Flexible course sequence
- If you are familiar with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop products, most courses may be taken in any order if you have the prerequisites for each course.
- Your final course should be the Capstone User Experience Project.
New students should attend the Information Session to receive course sequence information
To receive your certificate
Please review the course descriptions to ensure that you have taken necessary prerequisites or meet the requirements through job experience or previous education. Before you begin the program, it’s recommended that you take Adobe Illustrator, Introduction and Adobe Photoshop or have the equivalent knowledge and experience.
Certificate Program Chair
MIN WU, PhD, senior staff software engineer at ServiceNow, has over 15 years of research and practical experience in the areas of human-computer interaction, user interface design, web security, collaboration and privacy, web application and automation, and social networking.
Certificate Program Advisory Committee
ARIN BHOWMICK, MA-Human-Computer Interaction
Chief Design Officer
REJ SIDHARTHAN, MA-DES, Interaction
CEO & UX Strategist
WILLY LAI, BA
Chief Design Officer
Establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization
Once you create your student account, you can establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization program any time during your studies.
The benefits of enrolling early
- Lock in your certificate requirements.This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your certificate will remain the same for you
- Receive program updates
- Set your intention
- It’s free
To complete a program, you must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.
You have five years to complete all necessary courses in a certificate program or three years to finish up a specialization program.
All the necessary units in a certificate must be completed within this window.* The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2017, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
Enrolling in a certificate program does not trigger the beginning of the five-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to a certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the five-year timeframe.
For more information: How do I get my certificate or specialization?
* Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, Personal Financial Planning, or curriculum partner programs (Udacity, Microfacturing Institutes) may have a shorter completion requirement.
Please note that only letter grades of C or higher may be applied to a certificate, and in some programs, students may have more stringent requirements. Students in most employer- and government-sponsored payment programs, such as workforce development, as well as international students on F-1 visas, need to maintain a B average to meet their requirements. Personal Financial Planning students have additional grade requirements for individual courses to attain a certificate.
See Grading and Credits Policy for further information.