Illustrator's vector-based, small graphic format makes it a must for print and Web graphics. This hands-on course introduces the essential features and tools of Adobe Illustrator. Students develop basic competency in the use of this complex software, with emphasis on the Pen tool.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Use Adobe Illustrator vector drawing tools to create vector paths
- Use Pathfinder and Shape Builder tools to build complex shapes
- Apply appearances and effects to create digital illustrations and interface design prototypes
- Work with Illustrator’s Type tool and Type Objects to apply best practices for typography design
- Export assets for print projects, websites and mobile apps
- Using the Pen tool to draw curved, corner and cusp points
- Using templates
- Selection techniques
- Color swatches
- Transformation tools
- Moving dialog boxes
- Painting objects
- Gradients and blends
- Gradient Mesh tool
- Type basics: point, area, path
- Patterns and brushes
- Compound paths, masks
Working knowledge of:
- Communication and collaboration tools such as Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, or LibreOffice
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Canvas including navigation links, modules, etc.
- Mac and/or Windows operating system including the fundamentals of file management and navigation.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
At this time, students will be required to purchase Adobe Creative Suite individually for this course. Adobe Creative Cloud offers a discount for Students. Your tuition bill is considered proof of enrollment and can be used as your proof of eligibility to receive the student discount. If you have any questions, please let us know so we can assist you.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Speak to a student services representative.
Call (408) 861-3860