All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
The expert teacher understands the value of assessment, applies authentic and systematic methods of evaluating learning outcomes and supports a rational student placement system. In this course, participants review the purpose, methods and limitations of assessment, evaluation and placement along with state mandates that apply to preschool through high school students. Activities include hands-on practice writing, analyzing and evaluating a variety of test types in TESOL and bilingual education with special attention to validity and reliability.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows XP or Vista as a user
- Basic internet research skills
- Access to the internet
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Create two quality assessments for their own classroom.
- Create a step by step lesson plan for an ESL classroom.
- Create assessments to address the needs of all learners.
- Explain how rubrics, portfolios and alternative assessments are helpful to English learners.
- Read about, create, and view demonstrations of effective strategies and activities used in ESL.
- Review the 5 main keys to a quality assessment.
- Describe the various ways to make a lesson successful and memorable.
- Find useful assessment tools on the internet.
- Formal vs Informal assessments
- 5 Keys to Assessment
In an online course, the majority of our communication takes place in the course forums. However, when we have a need for communication that is private, whether personal, interpersonal, or professional, we will use individual email or telephone. Our primary means of communication is written. The written language has many advantages: more opportunity for reasoned thought, more ability to go in-depth, and more time to think through an issue before posting a comment. However, written communication also has certain disadvantages, such a lack of the face-to-face signaling that occurs through body language, intonation, pausing, facial expressions, and gestures. As a result, please be aware of the possibility of miscommunication and compose your comments in a positive, supportive, and constructive manner.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: $435
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.