Cesar Chavez Holiday Notice
We are closed Friday, March 31 and Saturday, April 1, in honor of farmworker activist Cesar Chavez.
The unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftermath have had a tremendous impact on companies and the human resource professionals who are navigating new competitive benefit programs, paid leaves, and mental health strategies. The crisis has not only significantly shifted how we look at and craft our new benefits. It has changed the way we communicate about their offerings.
This course presents a comprehensive view of this new benefits landscape, including the latest approaches for analyzing and negotiating benefits programs and funding options. A key focus will be developing strategies to reduce healthcare costs. Students will learn to evaluate employee needs and help them better understand and use their coverage.
It is highly recommended that students new to Human Resources begin with "Human Resource Management.” After that, courses may be taken in any order.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the role and responsibilities of a benefits manager’s job.
- State a corporation’s employee benefits philosophy and goals.
- Define various laws and regulations that govern the administration of employee benefits programs.
- Describe principles of risk and how this relates to the design of insurance benefits plans.
- Describe the role of the broker and the relationship with the benefits manager.
- Define managed care and consumerism in health care benefits plans.
- Describe various funding alternatives for insurance benefits programs.
- Understand financial benefits including 401(k) and stock option plans.
- Health and welfare plans, including cafeteria plans
- The Affordable Health Care Act and Covered California
- Qualified retirement plans such as 401(k) plans
- Vacation and sick leave programs, incidental benefits
- Overall benefit cost management workforce
SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® 19.25 PDCs.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Start / End Date||Quarter Units||Cost||Instructor|
|06-20-2023 to 08-08-2023||2.0||$700||Schedule||Enroll|
Final Date To Enroll: 06-20-2023
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 06-20-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 06-27-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-11-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-18-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-25-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 08-01-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 08-08-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|