All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
Skills needed: A college-level chemistry course. Some knowledge of organic chemistry is required.
At the end of the course, students should be able to
- Explain elementary features of chemical bonding, electronegativity, chemical thermodynamics and kinetics and identify the structure and nomenclature of common functional groups of organic compounds and their basic structure-reactivity relationships
- Describe the 3-dimensional aspects of organic compounds in terms of stereochemistry
- Understand basic features of monosaccharides, disaccharides and polysaccharides and carbohydrate chemistry including the structure-reactivity of hemiacetals and acetals
- Describe the basic structure, acid-base properties and classification of amino acids and the structure of peptides and proteins in terms of amino sequence and their structural motifs
- Describe the basic structure of lipids and biomembranes and understand the basic mechanisms of signal transduction and membrane transport
- Understand the basic chemical properties of enzymes and selected catalytic mechanisms and the roles of vitamins and cofactors
- Discuss the basics of cellular bioenergetics, ATP and the roles of glycolysis, the tricarboxylic acid cycle and electron transport
- Describe the basic structures of the nucleotides found in DNA and RNA and gain an overview of nucleic acid replication, transcription, the genetic code and protein biosynthesis
- Describe the basic metabolism of lipids, amino acids and carbohydrates with focus on glucose
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.