This course will examine ways of creating an environment where parents and teachers work in partnership for the education of young children. Attitude, understanding and skills which lead to effective communication and cooperation between home and school will be shared and explored.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the importance of family-teacher partnerships to improve educational outcomes for students
- Discuss different types of communication with families, effective communication tools, and challenges to communication
- Explain how the classroom environment and curriculum can reflect a family-centric approach
- Identify key principles of home-school partnerships
- Parent Profiles
- Family-Teacher Partnerships
- Communication with Families
- Classroom & Curriculum
- Families as Teaching Partners
- Welcoming Families
Working knowledge of:
- Google Workspace or Microsoft Office to submit assignments
- Canvas navigation links, modules, and using the inbox to communicate with the instructor
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
Together we will explore effective and productive ways of engaging parents and families in partnering with day care, preschool, and other school professionals on their children's education. Current research and best practices in the field of early childhood will be presented.
Effective partnering with parents begins with our understanding of what families do at home and in the community to support their children’s learning and development. It also means providing systems of ongoing communication that engage families of diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) identifies effective family engagement as an important and necessary practice of early childhood educators.
Next Section Starts In:
June 20, 2023, 12:01 a.m.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Start / End Date||Quarter Units||Cost||Instructor|
|06-20-2023 to 07-31-2023||5.0||$690||Schedule||Enroll|
Final Date To Enroll: 06-20-2023
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 06-20-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Mon, 07-31-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|