Masks are highly recommended.
See our latest COVID news.
This course studies the philosophy, history and development of early childhood programs. You'll examine the teacher-child relationship and how existing programs meet the needs of preschool children and review programs to evaluate how they meet the criteria of a quality learning environment. You'll get a chance to see how ECE programs operate in the real world by attending mandatory field observations at sites designated by the instructor.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the history of early childhood education
- Discuss various guiding principles among early childhood educators
- Know the differences among early childhood programs and how they are evaluated by checklists
- Identify the differences among developmental stages of children
- History of early childhood education
- Types of programs
- Defining the young child
- Developmental and learning theories
- Teaching: A professional commitment
- Curriculum: Creating a context for learning and play
- Issues and trends in early childhood education
Next Section Starts In:
Sept. 3, 2022, 9 a.m.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 09-03-2022||9:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 09-10-2022||9:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 09-17-2022||9:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 09-24-2022||9:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 10-01-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Final Coursework Due||ONLINE|