Enroll Now for Spring Discount15% discount on select spring courses for all subscribers.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Our courses are taught remotely through spring 2021. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
ECE 9: Language and Literacy for the Young Child | ECED.X309
This course covers the development of language in children and outlines experiences and techniques that enable children to further that development. You’ll learn how to promote oral language abilities through the active use of books, poetry, dramatic play and group discussions. You’ll gain insight into grammar, phonology and semantics; common speech problems, and language arts curricula that can help foster literacy in the classroom. The course also reviews the reading process along with various reading theories and issues.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Identify major factors that influence language development.
- Understand the Maturation (Normative), Predetermined/Innatist, Cognitive, and Constructivist Theories of language
- Define literacy, grammar, phonology, and semantics
- Understand the role adults play in children's language development
- Identify common speech problems
- Understand differences in children's language
- Understand the importance of early literacy
- Describe ways that teachers can promote literacy growth
- Incorporate Language Arts Curricula into daily instruction in order to support students
- Design a classroom environment that supports literacy for children
- Discuss multicultural book use
- Describe how story-telling can improve children's language development
- Understand how poetry and dramatic play can help improve children’s literacy
- Understand the correlation of reading and writing
- Analyze a parent's role in helping children's literacy
Have a question about this course?
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 05-11-2021||12:00 a.m.||12:00 a.m.||Online||ONLINE|
|Sun, 06-20-2021||11:58 p.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|