What are the most effective methods for teaching bilingual English language development? New methods, in tandem with traditional methods, have triggered a surge in effective language teaching and learning. In this content-rich course, you’ll review both the theory and practical methods needed to deliver bilingual education and teach English language development. Topics include program design, instructional strategies, current methods and approaches, such as immersion, two-way bilingual programs, total physical response, and literacy development. You’ll gain hands-on experience applying selected methods and approaches and will present a mini-lesson to get constructive feedback from your peers and instructor.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Acquire an understanding of the most recent theories regarding second language acquisition
- Acquire a deeper understanding of contemporary approaches to language teaching and learning
- Acquire an understanding of the fundamentals of lesson planning
- Explore applications of research in language teaching and learning
- Explore challenges facing English language learners, and develop intercultural understanding by meeting with a speaking partner
- Explore the uses of technology in the classroom
- Plan different types of lessons and evaluate each other's plans
- Practice selecting and developing materials for language classes
- Audio-lingual method
- Total physical response
- Natural approach
- Communicative language teaching
- Community language learning
- Participatory approach
- Silent way
- Accelerated learning (Suggestopedia)
- Blended Learning using online applications
Working knowledge of:
- Communication and collaboration tools such as Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, or LibreOffice
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Canvas including navigation links, modules, etc.
Please review section notes to view the full schedule.
The success of the class and the extent of your learning are dependent on your active participation.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 01-20-2024||9:00 a.m.||12:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 01-27-2024||9:00 a.m.||12:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 02-03-2024||9:00 a.m.||12:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 02-10-2024||9:00 a.m.||12:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 02-17-2024||9:00 a.m.||12:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|