All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
The principles of cognitive, developmental and social psychology, as they apply to the exceptional learner, are examined in this course. Current research is reviewed as it relates to individual differences, the learning process, and theories and problems of learning, including the impact of motivation and intelligence on the special learner. The fundamentals of physical, motor, social and emotional development at critical stages are examined. This course covers the key human learning theories, including classical, social, Piagetian, and information-processing perspectives.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Understand cognitive, social, and linguistic development
- Learn theorists and theories of learning (past and present)
- Understand and apply core concepts of learning differences, assessment, and memory
- Teaching and Educational Psychology
- Learning, Cognition, and Memory
- Instructional Strategies
- Creating a Productive Learning Environment
- Summarizing Students' Achievement and Abilities
Each week, I have a video developed as a lecture. Students are expected to read the text for reference, watch videos and develop their own materials directly related to their own circumstances.
For example, if you are in the Educational Therapy program, once a week you should complete your assignments related to your student population in a private practice setting. If you are a teacher completing a teaching certificate then your research should be based on a classroom population.
The goal is to develop a forum of what are the best ways to work together as professionals on behalf of our students' learning and life skills.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.