See our latest COVID updates.
This course deals with two key areas of math learning: computation and problem solving. You will learn the background of “mathematics differences” and strategies for dealing with math anxiety, risk factors, and the importance of developing “number sense.” Important elements of mathematical reasoning will also be addressed, including the role of attention, memory, and language in math. You’ll learn the use of multisensory math and gain strategies for improving long-term and working memory capacity through case studies of students with math learning differences.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Identify risk factors for developing difficulties with math
- Recognize specific behaviors presented by students who have difficulties with learning mathematics by using a numeracy screener
- Researching and understanding a math topic in depth before teaching it
- Preparing a series of math lessons on a topic of choice
- Students with learning differences and math
- Working Memory and Math
- The Teaching of Operations
- How Math Anxiety affects Learning
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google Workspace or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and an essential understanding of Canvas.
- Being able to use the computer and the internet
Please review section notes to view the full schedule.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 04-04-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Tue, 05-23-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|