This course addresses several methods for helping ESL students improve their writing in English. Course activities emphasize adapting and developing writing tasks to fit the learners' needs as well as developing effective techniques for responding to students' writing.
Using an interactive and a reflective approach, participants will explore these topics as they engage in experiential tasks and assigned readings. Besides responding to what their peers have said in class, participants will collaborate on assignments as well as complete an independent project.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Distinguish between process and product writing
- Create writing tasks for beginning, intermediate, and advanced ESL learners
- Evaluate student writing
- Integrate language skills (listening, reading, writing, speaking) into writing tasks as appropriate
- Process vs. product approach to writing
- Creating writing tasks for different purposes
- Planning a writing lesson
- Responding to students' writing (including content, organization, and grammar)
- Evaluating student writing (e.g., using rubrics, checklists)
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google Workspace or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and an essential understanding of Canvas.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
This is a Hybrid Live-Online class (A mixture of live-online and online (self-paced) instruction or other online activities.)
For this class, you will need a google account. We will use google drive for writing and group projects. Google Drive can be accessed in Canvas through the Collaborations page. If you already have a gmail account, you can link your gmail to Canvas. If you do not have a gmail account, you can create a new gmail account and then link the account to Canvas.
You do NOT need to change your email with UC Santa Cruz.
To link your Google account with Canvas, follow the instructions on the Collaborations link in Canvas.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: $435
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.