Data engineering sets the foundation for discovery
Our specialization in Data Engineering develops your ability to construct complex databases while optimizing performance. You will understand Big Data concepts, sharpen your relational database management system (RDBMS) skills, gain SQL and NoSQL database expertise, and explore the field of IoT (internet of things).
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing this program should be able to:
- Describe a business or other activity in terms suitable for defining a relational database for that activity.
- Compile the SQL code needed to create a database, as well as to insert, access, and update the information in the database.
- Identify different strategies used for improving database performance through database indexes, optimizer, explain plan, and database hints.
- Discuss the inner workings of Hadoop's computing framework, including MapReduce processing and Hadoop's file system (HDFS).
Data Engineering Specialization
Complete three courses and build your skills.
- Hands-On Data Engineering
- MySQL and Oracle Database for Developers and Designers
- Relational Database Design and SQL Programming
You can learn more in this field in the Data Science specialization or the more in-depth Data Science and Data Analysis certificate program.
Show off your skills with a digital badge
Estimated Cost: $2,610 (You pay only for courses you enroll in.)
Program Requirements: 3 courses (8 quarter units)
Minimum Hours of Instruction: 80
Estimated Duration: 6-9 months to complete
Special Programs: None
1. Required Course(s): You must successfully complete the three courses below.
2. Completion Review
Meet Our Instructors
Specialization Inquiry Form
PARTHASARATHY PADMANABHAN, M.B.A., data engineering lead, New Relic, Inc., is a data architect with more than 25 years of experience in information technology and has worked in data modeling for more than 10 years. Learn more.
Establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization
Once you create your student account, you can establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization program any time during your studies.
The benefits of enrolling early
- Lock in your certificate requirements.This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your certificate will remain the same for you
- Receive program updates
- Set your intention
- It’s free
To complete a program, you must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.
You have five years to complete all necessary courses in a certificate program or three years to finish up a specialization program.
All the necessary units in a certificate must be completed within this window.* The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2017, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
Enrolling in a certificate program does not trigger the beginning of the five-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to a certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the five-year timeframe.
For more information: How do I get my certificate or specialization?
* Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, Personal Financial Planning, or curriculum partner programs (such as GreenFig or CLS by Barbri) may have a shorter completion requirement.