Visit our COVID update page.
The course provides a 28nm library for students to practice techniques learned in class. After reviewing the design challenges, the course covers UPF-based synthesis and placement. The instructor will give an example of congestion analysis and reduction, and proceed with detailed route analysis and optimization. Students will learn the Clock Tree Synthesis (CTS) and how to optimize timing sign-off in nanometer technology. The course also introduces the hierarchical design flow, power mesh synthesis, and IR drop analysis. The instructor will share tips from extensive professional experience in ASIC implementation over many generations and will also provide basic scripts to facilitate lab exercises.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of ASIC backend design skills
- Perform digital design work across all aspects of the design flow from RTL to GDS using the latest process nodes/technologies
- Utilize EDA and Intelligent System Design tools such as Synopsys’s Design Compiler, IC CompilerII, IC Validator, StarRC, and PrimeTime; and Cadence's Innovus PNR tool
- Advanced physical design challenges
- DC-topo multi-vt/multi-vdd UPF synthesis
- Power mesh synthesis and optimization
- Placement and IR drop analysis and reduction techniques
- Congestion analysis and reduction
- CTS analysis and optimization
- Detail route analysis and optimization
- Sign-off optimization
- Hierarchical multi-vt/multi-vdd flow
Skills Needed: Basic knowledge of the backend design flow from netlist to GDSII. Knowledge and hands-on experience with Linux/Unix will be required for lab exercises. Students enrolling in this class should be able to answer 'yes' to six of the eight questions on the linked Google Quiz.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Mon, 04-03-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 04-10-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 04-17-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 04-24-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 05-01-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 05-08-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 05-15-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 05-22-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 06-05-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 06-12-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|