Enroll Now for Spring Discount15% discount on select spring courses for all subscribers.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Our courses are taught remotely through spring 2021. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
ECE 7: Practicum in Early Childhood Education | ECED.X307
This course provides early childhood education professionals with the opportunity to observe and evaluate children, applying theoretical and practical models from the field of early childhood education. Course activities include structured observation, analysis of the roles of adults, lesson planning, parent conferencing and reflective teaching.
Meets the California requirement of 3 semester units (equal to 5-quarter units) of supervised experience for teachers applying for a Children's Center Permit as described in the Child Development Permit Matrix see here: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/CREDS/child-dev-permits.htm
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to:
- Plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum activities in the early childhood classroom
- Locate and utilize professional resources
- Understand and articulate the role of an early childhood educator
- Demonstrate skills in appropriate guidance and disciplinary techniques with young children
- Understand and implement skills in working with parents as partners in their children’s learning process
- Create appropriate indoor and outdoor learning environments for young children
- Demonstrate appropriate skills in interactions with young children
- Interact with other teachers in a professional manner, and demonstrate professionalism in all aspects of their teaching
- Understanding and guiding behavior
- Observing and assessing children
- Curriculum development
ECE 7: Internship requirements: FAQ
- To obtain credit for this course, you need to be supervised by a mentor teacher at a school where you are teaching. The class meets only twice, once at the start and again at the end of the practicum. You are expected to complete your hours at a school and submit your assigned work on the last day of class and online. The Extension instructor is available for online guidance and support for both students and mentors.
- PLEASE NOTE: Extension does not provide mentor teachers for the purpose of this practicum. You are responsible for finding your own mentor teacher.
- Mentor teachers should be working in a licensed, preferably accredited, facility. Family child care is not permitted. It is acceptable to select a kindergarten teacher as a mentor.
- Mentor teachers must have at least 5 years of experience working with children in the role of lead teacher or director. They should have a minimum of 24 units of training in early childhood education and meet the requirements for a master teacher permit. A site supervisor or director permit is desirable. The mentor teacher's credentials must be given to the Extension instructor at the first meeting.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 04-03-2021||12:00 a.m.||12:00 a.m.||Online||ONLINE|
|Sun, 07-04-2021||11:58 p.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|